2/25/2010

Dim Sum Truck

Dim Sum Truck

Tried out Dim Sum Truck on their first lunch visit on the West side at the TLofts the other day, kind of a soft roll out I suppose. I've had limited experience with dim sum in general. Over the years, I've had it here an there and most of the time they weren't that great and yet so many people love them so there has to be something to it right? Nice thing with the food truck scene is being able to try so many different kinds of food that is of actual good quality. Figured this would be a good way to get re-acquainted, especially since I haven't been disappointed by a food truck yet, so odds were that it would be good.

I had twittered them earlier in the day about how late they were going to be sticking around and they let me know pretty quick, which was great since I was taking a late lunch that day.

Shu Mai

When I went to order, I was given a paper menu check list, similar to a sushi menu. They recommended the shu mai (shrimp and pork), you get three with an order, and the hum bow bbq pork bun, you get two to an order. They also gave me a dessert on the house, the sesame ball. By the time I finished ordering, it was already up. The shu mai was really good, this was one of the better ones I've had. I've had others there was too much of the seasoning coming thru, like green onion. Not these, it was on the mild side so you can taste the pork and shrimp, the dipping sauce adds the zing. That dipping sauce was amazing, nice and savory, ginger, soy sauce with a bit of garlic and it had a touch of heat to it. Really makes it.

BBQ Pork Buns
BBQ Pork Bun

The bbq pork buns were good, hadn't had one of those in a number of years either it seems. And I think this was the first time I've had a toasted/baked bun versus the steamed kind. The bread itself was light and sweet, the pork filling was good, mild yet sweet with a little bit of savory coming thru from the pork itself. I think I would prefer having the option of being able to order just one though, very filling to say the least.

Sesame Ball
Sesame Ball

The complementary dessert was interesting and really good (and a nice gesture). Very mild, light, but chewy, with a (I believe) lotus jellied like filling. The smokey crunchiness of the toasted sesame seeds and the texture of the filling was quite good.

Looking forward to trying them out again. You can really create many different combos and everything is very affordable. You can follow them on twitter here or check out their site here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails